Preserving Historic Dam at Brandywine Springs Park for another hundred years

One of Eastern Highway Specialists core competencies is the repair of historic concrete structures. On that note, located in the Wilmington area are the remains of Victorian Era Brandywine Springs Park. From 1886 until closing in 1923, the park was a major source of recreation for Wilmington area residents, often drawing 20,000 people per day.



Dam located at upper left of lake

In January we were tasked by New Castle County with repairing deteriorated buttresses in the dam in the lake area. At the time this dam was built in the 1800s construction did not utilize steel reinforcement. We also did hydrophobic grout crack sealing to stop numerous water leaks so as to preserve the dam for another hundred years.